As humans we all, constantly, look for solutions and answers. As a Christian one of the most vital ones seems the answer to where to find God… how to find Him… how to rediscover what it is all about…how to draw near again.
Let’s look at some biblical truth in this matter:
Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Deuteronomy 4:29 But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Matthew 7:7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Amos 5:4 For thus says the Lord to the house of Israel: “Seek me and live;
If anything, it seems that we CAN in fact find God. He wants to be found. However he will be found only in His true nature, when we seek wholeheartedly.
Here some ideas of where to look when you seek God and which ways will lead you astray eventually:
– The Bible. I’d say the most logical place to look and the safest one if you want true information. For all we know about God will be found in there and in personal experiences, that no matter how personal they are won’t EVER contradict the Bible.
Books by Christians are often much loved and valued, are however never a solid choice. They might add to the picture given in the Bible, but every human depiction of who God is and how He is etc is fallible in itself.
So unless you just want to hype your feelings about what others experience with God, I’d suggest looking at the source of it all: God’s Word (the Bible).
– Information outside the Bible and outside Christianity will – just like Christian faith – always be colored by a belief system. Thus is not objective, though it might claim to be (e.g. by saying it is scientific – because you find Christian scientists and non-Christian scientist that are thus again part of another belief system).
Though outside sources might support the biblical claims, I ask you to be aware of the fact that every person has a belief system and every statement made is colored by such.
So if you desire to find the Christian God, look at His own work – the Bible, read it.
Pray – you will be surprised that God answers those that truly seek Him.
Seek fellowship with other Christians – they might in fact be able to guide the way further even though we are all fallible.
May God bless your journey in finding God!
If you are Christian but feel far away from God and want to draw near again:
– spend time alone with God!
– visit a church (even if it is not perfect – none is. But the Church is God’s choice for a body.)
– read the Bible again!
– choose to worship and make it all about God and less about yourself!
Trust… God will be found… He wants to be found by you again! You CAN draw near again! God is waiting for you!
And if you like… share your story about finding God with us! Email it to me… or post it as a comment!