The following can be used as a guideline in evangelism… it can also serve to give a quick overview on the matter as such. However it is not a recipe or an absolute. Not every person is the same… not every person gets saved the same way…or acknowledges God in the same fashion.
Even so, I decided to post this as many do not seem to know and ask about how to get it down to a simple guideline. So like it if you do… discard it if you don’t. The more you learn about people, the easier and more comfortable you will feel around them. The more you know and learn about God, the more comfortable you are around Him and the more authentic you are in sharing about Him.
So here it comes, this is how a conversation guideline could look like (please remember that the below points are just your central theme points… it is NOT your complete or actual conversation!):
1. Gods plan for everyone
Did you know that God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?
2. The crucial question
If you would die, this very moment. Are you sure that you would spend eternity WITH God?
– Yes. That’s great, so what gives you this assurance?
– No. Then continue with 3.
If their answer is still another…continue as if they answered “no”
3. The problem
The Bible shows us that God is perfect and holy. We are separated from Him by our sin and iniquities.
Romans 3:10+23 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
4. Gods love
God loves you unconditionally. That is why He has gives his most precious for you: His son Jesus Christ, that has paid for all your sin.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
5. The most important decision
You can get to know God personally. Discover His plan for your life and have assurance of eternal life.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Now invite the person you spoke with to receive Jesus Christ through a short prayer. There is no fixed form for this prayer. They can pray it on their own… you can lead them in prayer…either form works fine.
As from my side I would like to ask you to:
– PLEASE do not pressure them into it! It is the Holy Spirit that needs to do the convincing – not you! Even so DO ask them and offer to!
– PLEASE do not sell them short of the whole truth! Life will NOT be without any struggles just because they become Christian!
– PLEASE invite them or offer further contact to other Christians… a church (and it does not have to be your church – it can be any good bible believing church)… teach them how to read the Bible and how to pray… and most of all:
– PLEASE remember… if you get the chance… the journey only starts at this point. The bible asks us to make DISCIPLES, not converts!
May God bless you!